Based in Brisbane, Australia
Windows / Mac / Linux
Unpacking is a zen puzzle game about the familiar experience of pulling possessions out of boxes and fitting them into a new home. Part “item Tetris”, part home decoration, you are invited to create a satisfying living space while learning clues about the life you’re unpacking. Over the course of eight house moves, you are given a chance to experience a sense of intimacy with a character you never see and a story you’re never told.
Unpacking was inspired by some real-life unpacking, when Tim moved in with Wren. The two began prototyping the game in late February 2018. In May it was selected for the Stugan game accelerator program, taking Wren and Tim to Sweden for two months where they created a playable demo of the game. A week after the end of Stugan, an animated gif of the game from the official Unpacking Twitter account went viral, achieving over 10,000 likes and attracting 6,000 new followers in 48 hours. Since then Unpacking has been presented at the Freeplay Festival's Parallels Showcase, Day of the Devs 2018, GDC 2019's Mild Rumpus, BitSummit 7 Spirits, the PAX AUS Indie Showcase and more. It is currently in full-time production.
- Unpack a home -- from a single bedroom to an entire house
- Meditative gameplay with no timers, meters or score
- Explore domestic environments with all their nooks and crannies while you stack plates, hang towels, and arrange bookshelves
- Discover a character's story through the items that come with her to each new home (and the items that get left behind)
- Soundtrack by BAFTA award-winning composer and audio director Jeff van Dyck
Unpacking Gameplay Video (August 2019) YouTube
Stugan Spotlight Video (August 2018) YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Official Selection" -Day of the Devs 2019
- "PAX AUS Indie Showcase Winner" -PAX AUS 2019
- "Official Selection" -The NEXT Exhibit 2019
- "Nominated for Vermillion Gate Award (Best of Show), Innovation, and Sound Design Awards" -BitSummit 7 Spirits
- "Official Selection" -GDC 2019's Mild Rumpus
- "Official Selection" -Day of the Devs 2018
- "Official Selection" -Freeplay Festival's Parallels Showcase 2018
- "Official Selection" -Stugan 2018 game accelerator program
- "Unpacking isn't a traditional PAX game, but it was easily one of the best"
- Alex Walker, Kotaku
- "There's just something meditative about stacking plates, books, and clothes in their proper place."
- Ginny Woo, Prima Games
- "Every single element of it is delightful"
- Jody Macgregor, PC Gamer
- "It's sublime."
- Martin Robinson, Eurogamer
- "I could watch the boxes blink away, and the microwave gently being placed on the shelf, forever."
- Fraser Brown, PC Gamer
- "Turning stressful activities into a stressless game"
- Rebekah Valentine, GamesIndustry.biz
About Witch Beam
Witch Beam is a small indie studio based in Brisbane Australia that's committed to creating polished experiences for PC and console. Witch Beam's first release was the critically acclaimed arcade-style action game Assault Android Cactus. They are now developing the very non-arcade style non-action game Unpacking.
More information on Witch Beam, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Jeff van Dyck
Composer, Audio Director
Angela van Dyck
Assault Android Cactus Inquiries
Assault Android Cactus Twitter
Assault Android Cactus Facebook