Based in Brisbane, Australia
Windows / Mac
Unpacking is a zen puzzle game about the familiar experience of pulling possessions out of boxes and fitting them into a new home. Part “item Tetris”, part home decoration, you are invited to create a satisfying living space while learning clues about the life you’re unpacking. Over the course of seven house moves, you are given a chance to experience a sense of intimacy with a character you never see and a story you’re never told.
Unpacking was inspired by some real-life unpacking, when Tim moved in with Wren. The two began prototyping the game in late February 2018. In May it was selected for the Stugan game accelerator program, taking Wren and Tim to Sweden for two months where they created a playable demo of the game. A week after the end of Stugan, an animated gif of the game from the official Unpacking Twitter account went viral, achieving over 10,000 likes and attracting 6,000 new followers in 48 hours.
- Unpack a home -- from a single bedroom to an entire house
- Meditative gameplay with no timers, meters or score
- Explore domestic environments with all their nooks and crannies while you stack plates, hang towels, and arrange bookshelves
- Discover a character's story through the items that come with her to each new home (and the items that get left behind)
- Soundtrack by BAFTA award-winning composer and audio director Jeff van Dyck
There are currently no trailers available for Unpacking. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Selected for Stugan 2018 game accelerator program" May 23rd, 2018
About Witch Beam
Witch Beam is an independent games team in Brisbane, Australia. We want to build the kinds of games we want to play and are committed to creating polished arcade style experiences.
More information on Witch Beam, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Jeff Van Dyck
Composer, Audio Director